Saturday, September 3, 2011

Chester Fire

Here we were, 5 miles out of our final destination, Meadville, PA when we
> ride up upon Conneaut Volunteer Fire Department. We do our usual thing and
> stop to see if there is anyone around. As with many volunteer departments,
> the doors are closed and lights out. But this station was different. It
> was attached to an upstairs restaurant/bar with a balcony. Then we noticed
> on the door a flyer that said Fri, Sept 2, BBQ members only. Turns out this
> volunteer department built their station with an attached restaurant above a
> downstairs banquet hall. This is how they raise money for the department.
> They even have a catering operation they run out of the station. Having
> spoken with volunteer departments across the country and knowing the
> difficulties many have with funding, we thought this was brilliant.
> Now, the story doesn't end here. I only learned about their operations
> because I made my way inside and upstairs to find a bustling restaurant/bar
> in full operation. I asked the hostess if she knew if any fireman were
> around. She asked me to wait a minute. She returned to inform me that the
> Chief was here but too busy cooking to come out and visit. She said he
> apologizes and that we were welcome to have a drink on him at the bar. I
> preceded to tell the hostess who we were and why we were here. I asked if I
> could leave a note for the Chief. While all this was taking place a
> gentleman walks in wearing a Chester Township Fire & Rescue (Ohio) shirt. I
> asked him if he was a Chester Fireman and he said yes. I introduce myself
> and told him what we were doing and about bringing patches to the New York
> FD to let them know that many across the country are thinking of them and
> the 343. He asked me to wait and told my he would be back in a minute.
> Next thing I know he hands me the Chester Fire symbol torn from a shirt. I
> turn to see that this did not come off another shirt in his car, but from
> the shirt he was wearing! Glenn Sanders is his name and although he didn't
> have a patch with him, he gave what he had to let FDNY know that he and
> Chester Fire are thinking of them. Glenn Sanders... you're the man!
> What a blessing it is to us to have such experiences as we continue across
> the US. Thank you to all of those that have been part of this journey. It
> is so wonderful to see the love that is flowing in the myriad of ways we
> have seen along our way.
> 
> ...and after learning more, Conneaut FD brought us patches and asked us to
> also leave one at Ground Zero if we can. They even offered us dinner and to
> put us up for the night. Thank you Conneaut FD. We would have loved to
> have stayed but had a previous engagement down the road.
> 

No comments:

Post a Comment